Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Omelettes That Anyone Can Make!

Around here, breakfast is a very beloved meal!  Nothing makes the beau more happy than when I wake up at the crack of dawn, stagger downstairs to the kitchen, and make him some breakfast before he has to go to work. While I try to be a nice girlfriend a couple days each week by spoiling him with a hot breakfast before sending him off into the world, there's no way that this is an everyday occurrence...especially when he needs to be walking out the front door at 5:40 AM or 6:40 AM.  I'm definitely NOT a morning person!

So, what's one of our favorite breakfasts to enjoy?!
Ham & Cheese Omelettes

These babies are so yummy!  Better than any omelette I've ever had at a breakfast diner.  And, they're simple and only require a few ingredients
Actually, this general procedure works well with any combo of sausage, bacon, or ham.  I just like using this ham because it doesn't need to be fried!  I just warm it in a skillet--it's already pre-cooked and makes no greasy messes.

I usually serve these omelettes with fresh sliced tomato with salt & pepper, or fresh fruit--just to kind of counteract the cheesy, meaty goodness with something wholesome and healthy.

I don't really have a recipe for these omelettes.  It's more about following a general procedure and just kind of eyeballing whatever quantities you want:

The best omelette is all about having the right skillet and spatula.  I make 2 egg omelettes, so the small (6-8") non-stick pan shown is perfect!  I know many people like 3 egg omelettes, but I think that they are almost too big and they are also harder to flip over. 

I start out by warming my ham in the skillet over medium heat.  I'd estimate that I use maybe 1/4 cup diced Hormel ham per omelette.  

Once my ham is warmed, I add a small pat of butter (about 1/2 T) to my pan and reduce the heat to LOW.  If you cook an omelette on too high of heat, you get a brown crisp on the outside.
As my butter is melting--don't let it brown--I mix up 2 eggs and a splash of milk (1-2 T) with a fork.  Pour your egg mixture into the skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Use your spatula to poke any bubbles that might start forming and to go around the outer edge, pushing cooked egg inward about an inch and letting the gaps fill with uncooked egg.  Once the egg is mostly cooked through--cooked enough to get your spatula under it without it falling apart--give it a flip.

Right away, start adding your filler ingredients.


 These omelettes have ham, cheese, and Pace picante sauce.  Seriously, the Pace is what makes these sooooo yummy.  Everyone who has ever had one of my omelettes always asks me about what kind of sauce I use.  It's the Pace--great for omelettes and breakfast burritos! If I'm out of Pace, I won't even bother with making these.

After everything is on the omelette, I fold it in half in the pan and slide it onto a plate.  If the cheese hasn't 100% melted, I'll usually create a heat dome on the plate with the hot pan turned upside down over the omelette for just a minute while I start mixing up the egg and milk for the next omelette.  

And that's it!  
Simple, yummy Foldover Omelettes.  

Here are some other combos to try:

Veggie
Sauteed onion, mushroom, garlic, bell pepper, tomato, and squash.

Meat Lovers
Sausage and bacon with salsa and sour cream.

Crab
Lump crab meat, tomatoes, and mozzarella. 

Healthier
3-4 egg whites, sauteed spinach, tomatoes, and mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment