Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wannabe Amish Friendship Bread



I pinned this recipe a while back from Red Fly Creations because it seemed easy and uncomplicated.  I've had Amish Friendship Bread a time or two, and while it is a yummy treat, it's not worth the hassle to me.  I don't want to wait 10 days and pass along starter bags and...you get the idea.  So, when I saw this recipe, with no kneading or rising or waiting, I was intrigued.  And so this morning, I decided to make it with breakfast.  Totally unhealthy? Yeah. But oh well!  Every once in a while its okay to start the day with a slice of sugary bread!

Cinnamon Bread
makes 1 loaf 
(can easily be doubled to make 2 loaves)

For the Batter:
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar (I used 1/2 brown, 1/2 granulated)
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1 c. buttermilk (or 1 c. milk +1 T. white vinegar OR lemon juice)
1-3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda

For the Cinnamon Swirl:
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together butter, sugar, vanilla, and egg.  Add in buttermilk, flour, and baking soda.  Pour half of the batter into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cinnamon sugar mixture.  Pour remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar mixture.  Swirl using a butter knife or wooden skewer.  Bake 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the center doesn't jiggle.  


(OPTIONAL: Reduce butter to 1/4 c. and add in 1/2 c. of apple sauce, 1/2 c. pureed pumpkin, or 1 ripened, smashed banana.)

Try spreading with whipped butter. Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment